- News & comment
- Daily brief: Moneycorp
- Market Commentary: Interactive Data
- Market update: Western Union Business Solutions
- Morning commentary: Capital Spreads
- Trading commentary: CaxtonFX
- Trading commentary: Currencies Direct
- Trading commentary: Saxo Bank
- Weekly commentary: Natixis
- Daily Forex Brief: FxPro
- UKForex: Daily commentary
MEPs vote for 1 Feb 2014 Sepa deadline
Publication date: 14 February 2012
Tagged with: Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA)
The European Parliament has passed legislation creating a legally-binding deadline of 1 February 2014 for banks to migrate to Single euro area payment (SEPA) credit transfers and direct debits.
Having agreed the migration date with the European Council in December, Parliament has now rubber-stamped the deal, with legislation adopted in the first reading with 635 votes in favour, 17 against and 31 abstentions.
European legislators have long accepted the need to enforce migration deadlines from national credit transfers and direct debits to Sepa, conceding self-regulation has failed to bring the move about quickly enough.
The parliament says that by finally pushing through end-dates, the continent can ensure that banks compete fairly, eliminate hidden national charges, and accelerate transfers that could save up to EUR123 billion within six years, benefiting clients, financial institutions and businesses.
Sepa rapporteur Sari Essayah, MEP, says: “This regulation really benefits citizens. It will enable them to make payments from one bank account to others all over Europe, just like a normal domestic payment…Companies will benefit too, by not needing more than one bank account in Europe for each payment purpose.”
If you enjoyed this article, why not sign-up to receive our bi-weekly email newsletter?
- GTS names Steven Reich Head of FX and Commodities (5 December 2013)
- SunGard acquires Softputer Technologies’ financial reporting (3 December 2013)
- Euroclear UK & Ireland to lead local T+2 settlement initiative (3 December 2013)
- OANDA Corporation appoints new President and Chief Executive Officer (3 December 2013)
- BofA Merrill launches new transaction services capabilities in Brazil (3 December 2013)